All You Need to Know About Cybersecurity for Businesses
- January 22, 2019
- Posted by: me2arafat
- Categories: Business plans, Cyber-Security
Cybersecurity is the gatekeeper and protector in modern era of business. As the world becomes more and more dependent on internet and businesses become digitalized, ensuring the security of data and assets is becoming paramount to the sustainability of a business.
What is cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is an information technology that protects hardware, software and network and data system from malware attacks. In today’s world – as well as for the future – data is the most valuable aspect of a company – the raw material that acts as an asset. So, there may be many attempts to steal data and money from a company through cyberattacks. The goal of this technology is to protect important data and information from third parties. The whole digital infrastructure of a company relies on the efficiency of its cybersecurity system.
There are various types of cybersecurity systems. But mainly, five types of cybersecurity services are used the most-
- Critical infrastructure security
- Network security
- Cloud Security
- IoT (Internet of Things) security
- Application security
Cyber Attacks: Nightmare of every business
No matter how small or big a company is, every business entity is at risks of a cyber-attack. Since these attacks are unpredictable and often severe in nature, businesses can lose billions and become bankrupt. For hackers, the most important thing to pursue is not money but data. Data has become an asset for the growth of business. So, protecting data as well the network system of a company is one of the forefront priorities in today’s world.
There are various types of cyber-attacks risking the growth of a business, and in the future, it will only evolve. However, some cyber attacks seem to be more common and frequent-
- Malware Attack: Malware attacks are perhaps the most common type of cyber attacks. It involves breach of information through computer viruses and worms or encryption and alteration of information of a company.
- Email Initiated Infections: These look like normal emails that, when opened, can infiltrate the hardware completely.
- Ransomware Attack: This one is the oldest type of cyber attacks. It blocks users from accessing information, and it is stated to occur in every 11 seconds.
- SQL Injection: For e-commerce businesses, this cyber attack is very prevalent. For severs that store information such as credit card numbers, usernames, and passwords, this malware hack can collect those information and leverage from that.
Benefit of Employing Cyber Security for a Business
Opting for cybersecurity in a business can allow one to ensure the growth and existence of it. It protects a business from vulnerability. Here are the core benefits of cyber security:
- Protects valuable data and information: It is said that data is the oil of the future. It is that one asset everyone will be after. A company’s data is a visual imprint of its inception, growth, strengths, and weaknesses. Hence, data must be protected using the technology.
- Increases customer reliance: Excellent cyber security performance can garner loyalty from the customers and assure them about the company’s commitment to providing the best services. A good cyber security system can draw more customers into the business as well.
- Ensures 24/7 smooth operation: Cyber attacks can halt a running system, be it a website or a Facebook page. Strong cyber security ensures that no hour is lost due to having to fix the damage, thus enhancing the efficiency of the business.
- Boosts competitive edge: A company that thoroughly plans its cyber security program and invests in it is likely to be far ahead of its competitor in the near future. As it is projected that cyber attacks will be more frequent with the advent of technology and loopholes in the system, it is not an exaggeration to state the cyber security will be the most important armor a business will have.
Cyber security is essential for a company to continue to thrive without being halted by unforeseen situations. In this increasingly digitalized world, businesses are more likely to face threats and attacks from various sources. This miracle of information technology can sustain and secure any business without being disrupted.